Friday, August 7, 2009

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?


I was so sad to hear of John Hughes passing yesterday. His movies were such an important part of my teen years. My first date was to see Sixteen Candles & I fell in-love with Jake Ryan (not my date) and in fact, named my first son in honor of this "perfect guy". I remember going with friends to see The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Some Kind of Wonderful. We would quote lines from the movie and thought Hughes stories were created just for us. My husband & I still watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles every Thanksgiving and Christmas Vacation every year. I still cry every time I watch She's Having A Baby and Uncle Buck and laugh even harder with Mr. Mom and National Lampoon's Vacation now that I am mother.

"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it". Ferris Bueller

6 comments:

Chris @ Celebrations At Home said...

When I saw that in the news this morning, I didn't even realize he had done some of those other movies! ...But there is nothing like those great 80's teen movies; )

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

So sad! Some of his movies were before my time (I was still watching She-Ra and My Little Ponies), but I have a great appreciation for Ferris Bueller, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Uncle Buck. :)

Melissa said...

Thanks for this--makes me love you even more. Can't wait to see you in just a few short months. Maybe we should have a John Hughes movie marathon. You can plan it, kay? I'll wear my favorite eighties clothes. Lauren should come, too. xo

Taryn Zerner said...

This was a sweet post. I absolutely loved his movies. I am an 80s-gal through and through, and remember these from childhood.
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog today! Your blog is adorable! I just love it!

Love,
Taryn

rozzissweetpeas said...

Wow! I didnot connect the news of his passing with this GUY! Oh my will I MISS him...thanks for the insite..visiting from SITsTas...hugs rozzi

bella said...

It's nice to see others out there with tributes to a great filmmaker.

While I was putting together my own homage this weekend, I came across this amazing blog about a woman who was his pen pal when she was a kid: http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html

It's amazing.